Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency


I have a hard time rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide books - the first one seems really funny, then they kind of taper off for me. Rereading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, though, makes me remember why I like Douglas Adams so much. His style of writing kind of surprises you - makes you feel comfortable, but then jumps out with a turn of phrase that makes you think. Or laugh. Both of those, in equal measure.
Much like the Hitchhiker books, Dirk Gently's is the story of a pretty ordinary guy to which very strange things start happening. In this case, with a bizarre friend (Dirk Gently), he ends up solving one of the oldest mysteries in the world. Fun stuff.

Book 36

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

Which mystery? You don't have to give the answer, I was just wondering what the question was.