Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Match


Well, last year I didn't read a golf book until the third book of the year. This year, earlier. Mark Frost is the author of one of my all time favorite golf books, The Greatest Game Ever Played. (Don't watch the movie; I quit halfway...) His new book is called The Match: The day the game of golf changed forever. Again: awesome golf book. Frost gives us the blow by blow on a bestball match played just before the 1956 Bing Crosby between professionals Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson and then amateurs Ken Venturi and Harvey Ward. He intersperses the golf description with histories of each player that illustrate why they this match meant so much. And seriously I had a ctch in my throat by the end. Excellent book: golfers out there, read this. If you haven't read Greatest Game, read that first, but pick this one up too...

Book 1

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

Golf? In the snow? I bet that would be an interesting game. :)