Sunday, January 27, 2008

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness


One benefit of my new job in the Technical Services department of the library is that I get a look at a lot of the advance reader copies that come in. These are prepublished books that publishers send out to generate interest and hopefully sales. They are usually uncorrected proofs, so you have to swim through some typos, but usually they're pretty good. That's how I got a look at this book, On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, which won't be out for another month or so.

Wow, I liked this book. Andrew Peterson starts off with a wonderfully witty introduction, and then jumps into his story. It's the story of a family living in a land under the yoke of an oppressive tyrant, but despite that they seem able to have an okay time of things. As the cover of my copy says, "Adventure, Peril, Lost Jewels and the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Scree." Right on.

Seems like this is the first book in a planned series, the "Wingfeather Saga." The end of the first book is great, too, and I really look forward to another installment. Might have to read this book out loud to the kids...

Book 3

3 comments:

Gail said...

Sounds like one I'd like. My library has two on order and I'm now on the hold list. Thanks

SnowLeopard said...

Is this a kids book? Definitely sounds like one I'd pick up! :)

SnowLeopard said...

Yeah! Finally I can post that I've read a book you've recommended (even if it is almost 3 months later). Fantastic, and I think it's going to be a long hard wait for the next in the series (but since I only have Harry Potter movies and no books left to wait for, maybe it'll be more bearable?)... Now I want to look up other books by this author too~ :)