Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Reno Rock-N-River Half Marathon

It was perfect weather in Reno for the Rock-N-River Half Marathon - 40's in the morning, to a high of 72, light overcast, barely any wind. Unfortunately, that didn't offer me any excuses for not making my goal time of 1:30:00.

The race start was just downtown by the Reno arch, so I rode my bike the mile and a half downhill and parked about half a block away. Got a little warmup jog in, and a few stretches before I found my friend Amber, who was also running. By that time it was a few minutes away from the start, so we lined up and off we went. Here's the approximate course:



My plan was to go out at about 7 minute miles, then come back in a little faster on the downhill return. I kept pace for about three miles, then slipped back closer to the mid-7's. At the turnaround by the Patagonia warehouse, I was about 2:30 back of where I'd planned to be. I was meeting another friend, Chris, at mile 8 and he was going to pace me back in, so I hoped I could make a little up. Not long after I met him, though, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to push it much; in fact, I barely held on to the pace. The most I could do was fend off someone trying to catch me in the last quarter mile. Ended up finishing at 1:33:33, good for about 34th place (official results haven't been posted yet.) That's a half marathon PR for me, by almost 6 minutes. Amber PR'd, too, finishing under 2 hours in 1:58 something. Nice job!

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't make the time I was shooting for, but at least I still have a goal now. And you learn something about yourself each time you race...

A few pics:


I'm the second runner in this shot; I didn't have the energy to chase down the first guy, but was able to hold off the guy behind me. Didn't realize he was so close. The guy in the white long-sleeve shirt to the left is Chris, peeling off so he doesn't go through the gate. Thanks again, Chris -


For some reason, this shirt makes me look pregnant. Gotta stop wearing it to races. Great picture otherwise - nice shot, Mich!


After the race, getting a big hug from Julien and my mom. Note Sofia's crown in the foreground...

2 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Whoo-hoo Turi! Did you see that the results are posted? You got first in the Clydesdale division, by like 27 minutes! Awesome- and you got 34th overall (out of 642), and that's impressive. :) I, on the other hand, placed 218, but I am really happy with my time. Yeah us!

I wonder what you won? Did you get it already and are being modest by not telling me? ;)

Anonymous said...

and what ever put in a division with bigfoot horses?