Friday, August 29, 2008

Meat: A Love Story

Meat: A Love Story Meat: A Love Story by Susan Bourette


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book combines a few of my favorite genres: foodie books, books where the author travels around researching a specific subject, and books where the author makes some sort of personal voyage. Susan Bourette explores our cultural attachment to eating meat from the point of view of a lapsed sometimes vegetarian. She brings a balanced, real-world point of view to the subject, and writes thoughtfully in chapters ranging from Cajun sausage to whale blubber.


View all my reviews.

3 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

A "lapsed sometimes vegetarian" who likes meat? Sounds like me! Although I don't think I could ever eat whale blubber- not only because it sounds gross, but not on principle either!

Turi Becker said...

Well, that was one of her points - our attitudes about meat are really culturally ingrained. Had you grown up in the arctic, in that culture, eating whale wouldn't be a moral issue - rather, one of survival. And slaughtering a pig to make blood sausage might be a community event.

SnowLeopard said...

Okay, ick!