Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Fire

The Fire: A Novel The Fire: A Novel by Katherine Neville


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
It wasn't that long ago that I read "The Eight", the 1998 book that "The Fire" is the sequel to. I had enjoyed it somewhat for its breathless thriller quality, its blend of chess and conspiracy theory, the historical notes and the strong female character. Though The Eight has many of the same features, I'm afraid I can't quite say that I enjoyed it. The best word I can come up with to describe it is overwrought. It seems like there has to be some earth-shattering revelation every three pages. It's hard to come up with a historical figure that isn't implicated in the conspiracy somehow. The female protagonist seems less a strong character as simply buffeted about, blindly following people that she doesn't know whether to trust or not. And one character actually, in a bit of dialog, uses the word "drat."


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

You're funny. I've read lots of books with the word drat in them, but haven't been turned off by the lingo. ;)

Ah, well, they can't all be good can they? These ones make the awesome reads stand out even more~ (which is a small part of the reason that I've only ever NOT finished one book that I've started- that and the curiosity to know what happens, even if it is crap).