Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Grail


In preparation for a trip up to the Oregon wine country around McMinnville next summer, I've started reading some wine books specific to that region. The first that I've finished is The Grail: A Year Ambling & Shambling Through an Oregon Vinyard in Pursuit of the Best Pinot Noir Wine in the Whole Wild World, by Brian Doyle. Well. I really liked it. My first reaction was "needs more periods, less commas" - he has a kind of loopy, run-on writing style that I thought would be annoying, but I grew to like. Made me feel like I was listening to someone exuberantly describe something they were passionate about, which I guess he is. Doyle claims to be an essayist at heart, and does a wonderful job capturing the spirit of the Lange family and their winery in a kind of "year in the life" format. Made me really care about the family, their wines, and the area - I can't wait to kick around in some of the places he described. I hope I can find a bottle or two in the local shops; if not, I may have to find a way to order a taste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, posted at 4:20, hmmm? Interesting time to post. Especially since you were at work? Sitting at the front desk? Just teasing. This sounds like a really good read on wine... maybe I'll read it if I can hold down more than three at a time? BTW, you're so good writing about the small things that happen- if you don't, they are easily forgotten. Something I should do more often...
I'm signing this as anonymous person 'cause I don't have a blogger address. -A