Monday, May 7, 2007

Alternadad


I don't remember who it was who recently recommended Alternadad to me (was it you, Marc?) Someone said they thought I'd like it, and I did. It wasn't what I expected - the parenting of Neal Pollack and his wife is actually pretty mainstream - but his writing style makes this a fun read. Basically, it's the story of a guy trying to maintain a sense of cool while being faced with the terminal uncoolness of parenthood. Yes, he sells out in degrees, like we all do, but it sure is a blast to read about.

Book 27

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I actually recommended or just mentioned that I was reading it. Sounds like you enjoyed it more than I...it wasn't bad, just not as hilarious or "fish out of water" as I had hoped, I think. I am keeping up with Neal via alternadad.com and a new "Ask Alternadad" column on offsprung.com. So I guess I liked it enough...oh yeah, and his other book is on my list, just haven't got to it yet. "Never mind the Pollacks"?

marc

SnowLeopard said...

This looks like a funny book- interesting to see how famous people bring up their kids- if they actually do themselves...

Turi Becker said...

Pretty sure I wouldn't call Neal Pollack "famous" - recognizable name in music criticism, maybe... But I know what you mean.