Friday, May 4, 2007

Boomsday


I try not to miss any of Christopher Buckley's books - although I don't consider myself terribly political, his books strike the perfect balance of politics and humor. His newest, Boomsday, again does it perfectly. The title refers to a day when the younger generations rebel against the Baby Boomers who are sucking up Social Security resources. It's a very funny book - Buckley has a talent for writing insanely kooky scenarios that sound suspiciously plausible. Lots. Of. Fun.

Book 26

4 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Can I just say that I love your reviews? This one made me laugh, even if it's not something I'd normally pick up. It's a non-fiction thing. But maybe I'll still read a non-fiction in the next month I have off...

Turi Becker said...

I guess I wasn't too clear in the review - this IS fiction, but it's fiction about politics and Washington. That's where most of his stuff is based...

Anonymous said...

Finished Boomsday Sunday. The first 50-67% was great; then it seemed that the author lost interest, had to rush for a deadline, or did not know how to make an other-than-weak finish. He got too obsessed with thinking up acronyms. Disappointing.

Turi Becker said...

Huh, I kinda liked the ending. Flipping back through it, it was a little abrupt, but it seems in the spirit of his other books. I'd still recommend it to someone, if I thought they'd be interested...