Sunday, September 30, 2007

One Big Damn Puzzler



Sometimes a book will catch my eye just by it's cover design and title, and I'll give it a chance. Some of these books don't hold my interest, but once in a while, I'll really like them. Such was the case with One Big Damn Puzzler. It's the story of a South Pacific Island, a native trying to translate Hamlet into pidgin English, and obsessive-compulsive lawyer, and the way societies clash with each other while people come together. It started out with a bit of an absurd Christoper Moore-ey feel (he wrote a blurb for the cover) but became much deeper and more poignant, without losing its sense of humor.

Book 66

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

I admit, I also will be drawn in by a book's cover artwork, or by an interesting title. But that's the point, right? I've found many an interesting read that way, but not usually as good as the ones I pick out by author, or series...