Saturday, September 1, 2007

Snow Crash



I hadn't read Snow Crash in a while, at least since I have gone through Stephenson's latest series a couple years ago, so I thought it was about time. It didn't disappoint. Perhaps a little dated now, but still full of great, imaginative references to a future that has, at east in part, come to pass. Snow Crash is known as the book where Stephenson predicted the internet, specifically the MMORPG/Second Life-type form of it. There are lots of other great ideas, too, from the business/city-state entities called franchulates to a great conspiracy theory involving ingrained language and a language virus from the time of Gilgamesh. The only problem I have ever had with the book is the main character's name, Hiro Protagonist. That's always struck me as a little corny, but maybe it is supposed to. Great book, anyway.

Book 59

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

I know several people who LIVE for these virtual world games, such as Second Life. I watched someone play for a while, then got bored of it after a few minutes. Maybe that was because her character wasn't very interesting, and all she did was walk around her house. I guess it would be kinda cool to interact with other people from around the world...