Saturday, October 20, 2007

New job

This post is kind of late, but I wanted to see how thngs were going before I wrote about it. I started a new job within the library system last week - I'm not at a branch any more, but in the Technical Services/Collection Development department, working as a cataloger. Basically, what I do (or am being trained to do, right now) is apply cataloging rules to items in the library's catalog. Mainly, this involves editing the MARC (Machine Readable Cataloging) code to match our library's own local rules. Here's an example of a MARC record for a book that I just finished. I'm starting to get a feel for what to look for in the records, but I've got a long way to go. It's kind of like learning a new language - at this point I can order dinner and find the bathrooms, but I'm still far from fluent. But I think this kind of job is really going to suit me, so we'll see how it goes...

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

Turi, you're so funny! Got a feel for the bathrooms- Oh man that made me laugh! I hope you're doing well and enjoying your new job- seems like you're really figuring out how a MARC record works. We really miss you at South Valleys... Sounds interesting, something I need to learn more about too- :)