Sunday, October 7, 2007

Service Included



I don't remember where it was, now, that I heard about Service Included, but I know that the minute that I did, I put it on hold at the library. Came just a few days later, and I dove right into it. This is my kind of book. It combined tales of waiting tables (which, although I've never done, I seem to really like) with some foodie stuff (although with a really non-snobby, heartfelt bent) and tales of New York (which I've never visited, but, again, kind of enjoy reading about.) Phoebe Damrosch tells her story of starting out waiting tables to a captainship at Thomas Keller's Per Se with wit and honesty. I really enjoyed it.

Book 71

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

This makes me think about a book called "Hope Was Here" by Joan Bauer. It's about a girl who had to uproot and move from New York to a small town where she became the best waitress at the new restaurant her Aunt now manages. She gave all sorts of little waitressing tips on how to keep the customers happy, and even good business tips despite her mere 16 years of age. Good book about life in general, and a Newbery Honor book to boot!