Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nation

Nation Nation by Terry Pratchett


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm embarrassed that it took me so long to finally read Terry Pratchett's latest. Now that I have, I think it's one of the best things he's written.



Nation is the story of a older boy, almost a man, who is somehow spared when a tidal wave destroys his island civilization. In gathering survivors from other islands, as well as meeting a white girl who is the only survivor of a shipwreck, he grows into himself. Along the way, he learns about the "gods", other people and himself.



Pratchett writes what seem to be children's or Young Adult books which wrestle with some pretty deep concepts. His humor shines through it all, too, and offers grace notes to what's really a wonderful book.


View all my reviews.

No comments: