Friday, June 12, 2009

Retail Anarchy

Retail Anarchy: A Radical Shopper's Adventures in Consumption Retail Anarchy: A Radical Shopper's Adventures in Consumption by Sam Pocker


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I'd have to call Sam Pocker a "coupon curmudgeon" - the guy who relishes finding the deals that get him lots of something for free, even if he doesn't need it. He seems to take the whole retail system as some huge insult, and makes it his job to find ways to hack it. Granted, it does sound like he donates a lot of the extra stuff he ends up with to charity, but that's not the real point for him.



On the other hand, he does make some really interesting points about how the system works - which, coming right down to it, is all about taking as much money out of our pockets as possible. And the ongoing use of Parliament Funkadelic as a metaphor is pretty creative...



But honestly. The little free time that I have seems like it's better spent than trolling recycling centers for extra Sunday newspaper coupons or driving from store to store to track down deals on aluminum foil I'm not going to use. Hey - I'm glad he's doing it. But I'm also glad I'm not.


View all my reviews.

No comments: