Friday, June 19, 2009

Where Underpants Come From

Where Underpants Come From: From Cotton Fields to Checkout Counters --Travels Through the New China and Into the New Global Economy Where Underpants Come From: From Cotton Fields to Checkout Counters --Travels Through the New China and Into the New Global Economy by Joe Bennett


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I've been reading a lot of books on China recently - not sure why exactly. I've got no desire at all to visit, but they're the books that have been catching my attention. This book is Joe Bennett's tracing of a pair of underpants purchased in New Zealand, back through their manufacture, from cotton to thread to fabric to finished product. Along the way he travels in China, reflecting on the culture and economy. I really like his perspective - thoughtful and introspective, with a slight sense of humor to spice things up.


View all my reviews.

No comments: