Monday, April 9, 2007

Baking Boot Camp


I was at Barnes and Noble the other day for something completely different, and ended up chasing Sofia around the store. On one of our passed in the baking section, this caught my eye: Baking Boot Camp, by Darra Goldstein. Having dreamed myself about taking one of the Culinary Institute of America's "boot camp" courses (but also been scared away by the price) I had to have this book. Glad I did. Goldstein does a good job not only of portraying what it's like to attend one of the boot cam courses (two, actually, the baking boot camp and the pastry boot camp) but also imparts quite a bit of the culinary wisdom that was passed along to her. If attending one of these courses sounds like fun, but you don't have the time or the money, take a look at this book. It made me want to cook something right away. In fact, I made the Pots de creme recipe tonight - it was a little different than the one I've made before, but sure tasted wonderful.

Book 18

3 comments:

Gail said...

How was it different than the ones you've made before? I'd love to look at the book next time I'm in town.

Turi Becker said...

This recipe called for a step in which you make a caramel sauce to add to the mixture; I didn't remember that from making it previously.

Anonymous said...

What's Pots de Creme? Sounds rich! BTW, where did you learn to cook/bake? Just from reading books like these? Recipes? Family? I musta missed out on this part- my brother is the one who likes to read cookbooks like novels.
-A