Friday, April 6, 2007

Inkheart


This is one of a couple of children's fiction books given to me to read by a co-worker (Amber, who's a bit of a connoisseur of the genre.) While I definitely have my own reading tastes, I think it's good to read outside of them sometimes, especially if you work in a library setting. It's nice to be able to recommend a book because you've read it, not just because you've "heard" that it's good.

So Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is the story of a book-loving girl and her bookbinder father, who are entangled with a web of characters that the father has "read out" of a book. Saying any more would give too much away, so I'll stop with the description there. The story developed kind of slowly, and it seemed like it took me quite awhile to read, but it was all enjoyable. An interesting writing style, and each chapter is preceded by a relevant quote from another children's book. This is the first book in a trilogy, of which only the first and second (Inkspell) have been published. It's also going to be a movie starring Brendan Fraser in 2008.

Book 17

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never thought of myself as a connoisseur, but I do read an aweful lot of juvie lit. Maybe I should read outside my personal tastes as well- some non-fiction maybe? You'll have to help me with that one. :) I had forgotten about the quotes at the beginning of each chapter- I had fun trying to guess what book they were from before reading it at the bottom. I'm glad you liked it- going on to Inkheart?

p.s. Thanks for the Brendan Fraser link... quite enjoyed that...

Turi Becker said...

I think I'll read one of the others - Amulet of Samarkand, was it? first, then back to Inkspell. Thought you'd like to see some more of Brendan...