Friday, April 20, 2007

King of Swings


If you haven't noticed, I try to keep up on new golf books that are published. I think the only one I've read recently, though, was Dream Golf, about Bandon Dunes. Saw this one on the New Book shelf at the Downtown Reno Library last week: The King of Swings: Johnny Goodman, The Last Amateur To Beat the Pros at Their Own Game. Liked it so much that I went out and bought the paperback for my father-in-law. (I'm 100% certain that he doesn't read this blog, so no-one ruin my suprise, eh?) Anyway, it's a rags-to if not riches, then at least fleeting fame in the golf world story - a poor kid from Omaha, Nebraska who teaches himself the game while caddying, and goes on to beat some of the greats (Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet.) Has a lot in common with another golf book I really enjoyed from a couple years ago, The Greatest Game Ever Played. (Really liked the book, but the movie had to include a Hollywood love story, which kind of detracted from the whole thing for me...)

Book 21

2 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

You're such a golf geek! But hey, if it improves your game... :) BTW, how's your shoulder doing? Better? Ready for your big tournament on Friday? Questions, Questions!

Turi Becker said...

I figure any thinking about the game helps tune your mind for it. Shoulder a little sore; I think I'll have it looked at after our little tournament. And no, not ready for it..