Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Confessions of an Eco-Sinner

Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff by Fred Pearce


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
At first glance, I wasn't sure if I was going to like Confessions of an Eco-sinner - the writing looked a little dry, and I thought I might have just read one too many "green" books recently. I was wrong - this is probably the best, most important one I've read. Fred Pearce tracks down the origin and final destinations of many of the things in his life, like his food, clothing, electronics and recycling. He discovers some surprising things, both good and bad, about where products come from and where they end up. He takes a very global perspective, and writes in an honest, refreshing style. This is one I'm sure I'll recommend to people.


View all my reviews.

4 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Where his food ends up? Lovely. This sounds interesting, especially if all doesn't end at a landfill...

Turi Becker said...

Well, yeah, he did cover sewage, too, actually. But he also talked about whether it's better sometimes for something to end up in a landfill, instead of being transported all over the place (wasting energy) in order to be recycled. Very open-minded, balanced viewpoint...

Anonymous said...

I was expecting some confession of composting wrong or contaminating recycling. Phew! I want to read this. I think I need to read this. Does the library have a copy?

Turi Becker said...

Yep, two or three copies, I think. It was a library coy I read and returned today...