Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pumpkin Pie-balls

I love this season - in large part because I get to bake with pumpkin. Pies, cookies, cheesecakes, souffles... Mmmmm. There's a recipe for pumpkin pie in the new Cooks' Illustrated that I want to try out, too, come to think of it. Anyway...

I have a few different Halloween baking opportunities this year, and wanted to come up with something creative to make for them. In a nod to my genes (thanks, Dad) I feel the need to name my creations with some terrible pun. Hence: Pumpkin pie-balls.

This is basically a pumpkin cookie, covered with a disc of pie dough with a slit down the center and a raisin for a pupil. Steps:


Pumpkin cookies - I use some old recipe I have laying around, but I'm sure any pumpkin cookie recipe will work. These scoops are too big by about half, I cut them down a lot on the second batch.


Pie dough. Cookie cutter circles. Slit in the middle. Pretty simple.


Terrible picture. But: pie dough draped over cookie dough. As I said, there was too much cookie dough on this first set, on the second batch the pie dough draped more fully over the edges and baked up better. Plunk a raisin in the middle (not pictured) and push it in a ways - it'll try to rise up as they bake.


Et voila. Pumpkin pieballs. Making them again, I'll probably scale them down - use a smaller circle cutter and less filling.

4 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Ooooh! Very creative! This was in your new cookbook? And just creepy enough with the raisin. I bet these would be good frosted. But of course, anything with pumpkin's gonna be good... Mmmm...pumpkin...

Turi Becker said...

Nope, this was straight outta my own brain...

Gail said...

They might also be called "pumpkin pie-eyed balls. Hope to bring a pie pumpkin or winter squash to make pie with Sofia next month.

Anonymous said...

just call them eye-balls and hand out to kids; watch them squeal while eating.