Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dream Golf


Finally finished another book - Dream Golf: The Making of Bandon Dunes by Stephen Goodwin. It is about the concept behind, and building of three courses on the southern Oregon coast at Bandon which have pretty much unprecedentedly become some of the best in the country. I was working in golf up in Oregon (at Sunriver Resort) while they were being built, but have never had the opportunity to get down there and have a look. Two of the courses nestle up to the beach, and are as true links-style courses as it's possible to make here. I'm fascinated by the links courses of the British isles, although I've never had the opportunity to play them (and although I would imagine my game is not well-suited to them.) Reading about these courses in Oregon, only 4 or 5 hours away, gave me goosebumps. I'll have to get there to play someday - donations graciously accepted for Turi's golf outing. (High-season greens fees are $250 per course, a little less if you're staying at the on-site lodge or cabins.) Well written book; the story of Mike Keiser (co-founder of a greeting card company) who decided he wanted to build an enduring, classic golf course, and did it the right way. It was wonderful to read about someone who cares more about his dream and doing it right than the bottom line. Sorry to ramble; golf has that effect on me sometimes.

(Book 3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't golf really, but this makes me want to! You should submit this (maybe with a few changes?) to Brenda for our Librarian's Choice page- she's been saving up what people are sending her until our new Internet librarian can update it, which might be a while. But you should still turn it in. I just want to go to that course on the beach on the cover, even if it is pricy (did I spell that right?). :)
-A

Anonymous said...

amen