Saturday, July 21, 2007

Tokyo Suckerpunch



I picked up Tokyo Suckerpunch from the "Read and Return" shelf at the Incline Village library when I was up there last week, and I'm glad that I did. Really fun read. I'd have to describe it as Mark Leyner meets Tim Dorsey and vacations in Japan. (If you don't know those two authors, your reading habits are probably way too normal...) At any rate, the basic synopsis: Billy Chaka is in Tokyo covering the Junior Handicapped martial arts tournament when he stumbles into a plot involving the death of a filmmaker hero of his who was working on a script about - who else - Billy Chaka. Hijinks ensue. Not sure if I'll seek out the sequel, Hokkaido Popsicle, but I might read it if it happens to fall into my lap somehow.

Book 44

1 comment:

MarcT. said...

Hey, I read Tokyo Suckerpunch too! I never thought (1) anyone else within 4 degrees of separation would end up reading that as it seems kinda, um, esoteric? and (2) someone with such erudite reading tastes as yourself would enjoy it! I didn't love it, didn't hate it, maybe about a 6.5 out of 10. I did sort of want to read the sequel, never got around to it...