Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wicked


This was the second book that I read while traveling to Anchorage and back last week. I wish I had been a little more familiar with the fictional world of Oz, so I could have caught some of the references, but I think I figured enough out with just my pop-culture knowledge of The Wizard of Oz. In a nutshell: Wicked reimagines Oz, and specifically the Wicked Witch of the West, from her point of view. A conflicted childhood, activism at university, and struggling to find her place in the world. It's a very creative work, and fantastic to read - kept drawing me deeper in. I've got a few people that I'm going to recommend this to immediately...

Book 39

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

I read "Mirror, Mirror" by Gregory Maguire- I really liked his writing style, and how he tied it into history in the 16th century Borgia Era in Tuscany, which made it seem like this classic Snow White story could actually have happened. Actually I listened to it on CD, and that was even better, because each character had its own narrator. Great voices! I would like to read Wicked some day too.