Wednesday, November 28, 2007

San Mateo Public Library

A few pictures of the San Mateo Public Library, where I'm spending this week at a training:


A model of the building, on display inside. The conference room I'm in is at the far left of the building.


The conference room (Acorn room, I think) with it's aforementioned HUGE screen.
Oak Meeting room, actually - Here's floor plans if anyones interested in that sort of thing...


A view from the magazine mezzazine (try to say THAT out loud) toward the staircase.


And a view from the third floor across toward the cafe and internet stations, and down toward the second floor and mezzazine.

Worth mentioning: this library has the most comfortable meeting room chairs I have ever been in. They're a wire frame with stretchy mesh fabric on them, and I'm totally comfortable sitting in them all day. Good thing...

2 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Wow! It looks so spacious and cozy! I wonder how many staff members it takes to run this library? When I saw the first picture, I thought immediately, how did he get that aerial view? :) Do you get your very own table to work at, with books and papers and notes spread across the whole thing? (Or am I the only nerd here?) I love the staircase, and the colors and those funky shaped lamps. What a fun place to work! And you said they have an automatic check-in? I wonder what kind of damage costs they eat, and if some items make it back to the shelves damaged, and/or missing discs, that kind of thing? Or are AV materials checked by an actual person? What is a "book bubble?" Looks like they have a really big children's room! I'm totally envious of the amount of staff space they have. Did you get to see that area too? Also, it looks like they have the holds out for the users to grab themselves- what kind of system do they use? Do they write a number or name on the spine? Just curious...

(BTW, it's mezzaNine :)

Blah, blah, blah...

Anonymous said...

Oak, not acorn. But close.