Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The World is Flat


About a week ago, I finished The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, in audiobook format. I figured my driving time (avg. 18 minutes each way) to work made sense for me to start listening to audiobooks. This one was pretty good - I'm glad I listened to it, because I probably wouldn't have made it through the book. I particularly liked the reader's accents, when he was quoting someone from India or England. Anyway - the whole concept is that all the improvements in global information infrastructure have made it so that almost the whole world is on equal footing as far as opportunity - the field has been leveled. ie; flattened. The World is Flat. Cute. It reads a little too popular for it's own good - I'm sure this got picked apart by critics. But I did enjoy it; it gave me an insight into some things I usually don't think about. Like You: An Owners Manual, one of those NF books I had to read to see what the big deal was.

Not counting this toward my book total, feels like cheating, listening to it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course it's not cheating! You read to your kids don't you? It counts for them, so it counts for you too! What did it make you ponder in life?
-A