Monday, January 8, 2007

Semi-word freaks

Played Scrabble with Mich last night for the first time in years. I didn't do nearly as terribly as I had feared. (She beat me by about 100 points, but I broke 200 - she's just scary good.) Kinda had a headache when it was done, though - my brain doesn't do the boggle/scrabble word unscramble/rearrange thing well. I'm more suited to the crossword type of challenge, puzzling things out from clues and a few letters. The interest in playing Scrabble came from watching Wordplay, a film about crossword competitions, which in turn reminded me of Word Freak, a great book on competitive Scrabble players. Both the film and movie highly recommended.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Found "Word Freaks" at our local Vancouver) library this evening and started it as a read aloud on the way home. So far it's holding our interest. Also, I've put "Word Play" on our list of DVDs to check for at the Portland library. Thanks for the recommendations.

Gail said...

This is from Ken, I checked the Portland library for the DVD. They have 9 copies and 263 holds.