Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The End of Mr. Y


Well, I read most of this book in 2006, but I'm going to count it as my first book of '07 because I finished it on New Years Day. This was The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas, whose previous novel, PopCo I enjoyed quite a bit. PopCo explained a lot of amateur codebreaking and puzzling through a fun, mysterious fictional framework of the large toy company that the main character worked at. The End of Mr. Y does a similar thing for some of the philosophy that Thomas is interested in - logic, language, I 'm not sure of the exact terms for it. She packs quite a bit in the book, and it's really kind of a mind twister. Some might enjoy that - It all ended up a little much for me. Wouldn't recommend this one near as much as PopCo.

(Book 1)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Micheline here: I too thought Popco was a "funner" read, but this one really sent me into a physcological tailspin that had me questioning my ideas of faith, physics and sanity in general. Maybe a little heavy for this time of year when our emotional selves are already a little frayed, but sometimes it's good to have some disturbing subcutaneous thoughts.